Celebrating the Beloved Green
March 16, 2016
One of the most celebrated holidays in the country is coming up – St. Patrick’s Day – in which streets turn into a sea of green as revelers cheer the luck of the Irish. But the color green has long been associated with another celebration – the day every Christmas holiday season when kids and adults unwrap their favorite Hess toy and cheer with delight. But there’s more to the beloved green toy than meets the eye. Here are some green facts about the Hess Toy Truck:
- Where does the green come from? It dates back to our companies’ origins when Mr. Leon Hess drove a secondhand six-wheeled Chevy fuel tanker truck to deliver oil door to door. That original truck was painted in a quartet of colors: green with accents of yellow, white and red. It would be nearly 20 years into the Hess Toy Truck holiday tradition before the 1982 “First Hess Truck” was released as a toy replica of this founding vehicle.
- The Hess Toy Trucks remained primarily green from 1967 through 1978 with a variety of tanker trucks and box trailers. An exception was made, of course, for the red firetrucks in 1970 and 1971.
- In a first for the toy collection, the 1980 Hess Training Van came in a green box!
- Green returned as the primary color four years in a row with the First Hess Truck in 1982 and 1983 and its bank version in 1985. The 1984 Hess Tanker was also decked out in green.
- After nearly 20 years, green returned as the primary color in the 2007 Monster Truck.
- Green most recently returned as the primary vehicle color in 2014 with the Collector’s Edition Toy Truck, which commemorated the 50th Anniversary of the holiday collection. This Hess collectible also featured a green exterior sleeve for the box which was a first for the toy. This was also the first toy to be exclusively sold online at hesstoytruck.com.
What will the Hess truck be in 2016? Will it return to green after going red in 2015? If you signed up for email alerts at www.hesstoytruck.com, then you’ll be among the first to find out later this year!
In the meantime, we’re highlighting more fun Hesstory throughout the year as well as some of our favorite fan stories and photos, so please be sure to share your memories with us on our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram pages. Tag @hesstoytruck as your story might be the next one to be featured on our monthly blog!